Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's Complicated

I love movies. In college, I worked at the "slightly late" theater on campus. A perfect job since I could eat candy and watch movies for free after working the concessions before the film. What could be better?

As an English major, films were often part of our writing assignments. We would read a Shakespearean play and then watch a number of movies based on the same play. Some of the best papers I wrote were analysis and comparison among film and the written word. I did learn--quickly--that I prefer my own imagination. The movies based on books are never quite as good as the way I saw them in my mind.

As momhood set in, movies became a dvd habit. Very seldom did we make it to a grown up movie on the big screen. Why? When they were tiny babies, it was money and time. As they got a bit older, there was the joy of watching them watch movies. It is so real to them that you just cannot resist. But over the last year or so, my patience for their movies waned. I desperately want the time I spent watching "Kung Fu Panda" back. There was actual pain in watching that one.

Earlier this fall, Zack started first grade and I took the plunge. I went to see a movie in the middle of the day all by myself. No one else wanted to see "Julie and Julia" so I grabbed my Jr. Mints and headed in all alone. And, I liked it. The movie and the experience.

I still prefer to see a movie with friends, but I am ok with heading out on my own and then discussing it with friends later. What I noticed about the last batch--except for J&J--is that I am older than the movies. The romantic comedies seem to all happen to women BELOW 30. The movies with vibrant "women of an age" with central romantic roles are few and far between.

Which is why "It's Complicated" is on my holiday must see list. Check out this screen shot:


Cheating with your ex-husband on the young tootsie that cheated on you with him? Ok, it sounds a bit twisted, but fun.

Of course, "Princess and the Frog" and "Alvin and the Chipmunks the Squeakuel" made the family must see list. I definitely deserve a bit of complication after surviving both of those!

No comments: